This two-day training is an excellent resource for anyone working as an advocate (clients/consumers also welcome). Housing Advocates Training (HAT) is a full day, Welfare Policy Seminar (WPS) is an optional three-hour session. Trainers include staff and attorneys from the Fair Housing Center of Southeast & Mid Michigan, the Michigan Poverty Law Program, and Legal Services of South Central Michigan. Registration is required.
Our next training will be virtual, October 2020. Registration is required, information will be distributed in summer 2020.
HAT is designed to help social service professionals gain a working knowledge of fair housing law, landlord/tenant law, and housing subsidy programs. By the end of the training attendees will know:
• how to recognize signs of housing discrimination;
• how to advocate for a victim of housing discrimination;
• the services offered by fair housing organizations;
• the basis of the landlord/tenant relationship;
• how to advocate for clients in need of housing repairs;
• how the eviction process works;
• how to advocate for clients in an eviction or lockout;
• the services offered by Legal Services programs;
• the basic characteristics of housing subsidy programs; and
• the rights and responsibilities of tenants in subsidized housing programs.
WPS will focus on the Department of Human Service’s most popular programs, including cash assistance, food assistance, state disability assistance and Medicaid. There will also be a brief overview of Social Security programs, including SSI, RSDI and Medicare. The session will include explanations of these programs, including covered services and eligibility requirements, as well as advocacy strategies. Please bring your questions and cases, discussion is welcome. [Note: WPS is one three-hour session.]
New Training Opportunity! Housing Advocates Training Plus (HAT+) will be held on May 6th in Washtenaw County. You must have previously attended HAT in the past three years to register for HAT+. Registration materials will be available in March. Call or email for more information.
Please join our email list or follow us on social media to learn when the next training dates will be.