Fair Housing Assistant, Summer 2019
The Fair Housing Center of Southeast & Mid Michigan is seeking a qualified individual to provide part-time programmatic and administrative support throughout the summer of 2019. This is a temporary position (approximately 4 months), to start in May. This position will be based in Ypsilanti; occasional travel may be required within our eight-county service area (Clinton, Eaton, Ingham, Jackson, Lenawee, Livingston, Monroe, and Washtenaw Counties).
The Fair Housing Center actively works to investigate complaints of illegal housing discrimination. State and federal law prohibits housing discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, familial status, disability, marital status, and age. Local ordinances in some cities also include protections for sexual orientation, gender identity, source of income, and student/non-student status.
Job responsibilities include:
- answering phones, conducting complaint intake, and providing appropriate referrals for non-fair housing calls
- assisting with various administrative tasks (copying, scanning, faxing, mailing, etc.)
- collecting and analyzing data from complaint files
- drafting advocacy correspondence (such as requests for reasonable accommodations)
- organizing physical and electronic files
- other tasks as assigned
- ability to work independently while asking for help/guidance when needed
- excellent attention to detail
- ability to maintain confidentiality
- fluency in both Microsoft Office 2013 and Google Drive applications
- demonstrated interest in advocacy, civil rights, disability, and/or nonprofit work
- familiarity with social service agencies throughout southeast and mid Michigan
Please email a resume and cover letter addressing the above qualification to Jessica Ortiz at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All materials must be received by 5:00 PM on Monday, April 8, 2019.
Salary details: $15/hour, 12 hours a week