Housing & Legal Resources in our eight-county area:
- The Counsel & Advocacy Law Line (CALL) is the “front door” for legal services across 43 Michigan counties, providing intake, legal advice, brief services, self-help coaching and referrals to over 11,000 families each year.
- Legal Services of South Central Michigan (LSSCM) provides free legal advice and representation in certain civil cases to approximately 10,000 low-income persons and senior citizens each year in Barry, Branch, Calhoun, Clinton, Eaton, Hillsdale, Ingham, Jackson, Lenawee, Livingston, Monroe, Shiawassee, and Washtenaw Counties.
- The Michigan Housing Locator website is a free rental housing search service provided by MSHDA (Michigan State Housing Development Authority).
- The Michigan Legal Help website was created to help people who have to handle simple civil legal problems without a lawyer. There are articles you can read to learn about a specific area of the law and toolkits to help you prepare to represent yourself in court. Some forms are completed automatically once you answer simple questions.
- The Housing Law Clinic at the Michigan State University College of Law is a multifaceted law school clinic committed to providing the low to moderate income residents of Michigan with legal advocacy on housing and related consumer problems or issues in a variety of ways.
- Student Legal Services (SLS), a unit of The Division of Student Affairs, is a full-service law office available to currently enrolled students at the University of Michigan–Ann Arbor campus.
- United Way 2-1-1 provides callers with information about and referrals to human services, for everyday needs and in times of crisis. Operating 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Please continue to use 9-1-1 for emergency calls.
- U.S. Housing and Urban Development (HUD), Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity (FHEO)
- U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), Civil Rights Division, Housing and Civil Enforcement Section
Fair Housing Centers in Michigan:
- Fair Housing Center of Metropolitan Detroit
220 Bagley, Room 1020
Detroit, MI 48226
- Fair Housing Center of West Michigan
20 Hall Street SE
Grand Rapids, MI 49507
- Fair Housing Center of Southwest Michigan
410 E. Michigan Avenue
Kalamazoo, MI 49007