This two-day virtual training is an excellent resource for anyone working as an advocate (clients/consumers also welcome). Housing Advocates Training (HAT) is three 2 – 2.5 hour sessions, and the Public Benefits Training (PBT) is an optional two-hour session. Trainers include staff and attorneys from the Fair Housing Center of Southeast & Mid Michigan, the Michigan Poverty Law Program, and Legal Services of South Central Michigan. Registration is required.
HAT is designed to help social service professionals gain a working knowledge of fair housing law, landlord/tenant law, and housing subsidy programs. By the end of the training attendees will know:
• how to recognize signs of housing discrimination;
• how to advocate for a victim of housing discrimination;
• the services offered by fair housing organizations;
• the basis of the landlord/tenant relationship;
• how to advocate for clients in need of housing repairs;
• how the eviction process works;
• how to advocate for clients in an eviction or lockout;
• the services offered by Legal Services programs;
• the basic characteristics of housing subsidy programs; and
• the rights and responsibilities of tenants in subsidized housing programs.
PBT will focus on the Department of Human Service’s most popular programs, including cash assistance, food assistance, state disability assistance, and Medicaid. There will also be a brief overview of Social Security programs, including SSI, RSDI and Medicare. The session will include explanations of these programs, including covered services and eligibility requirements, as well as advocacy strategies. Please bring your questions and cases, discussion is welcome.
Housing Advocates Training (HAT) – Zoom Virtual Event
Tuesday, April 12: 10 am – 3:30 pm (0ne hour break for lunch, noon – 1 PM).
Thursday, April 14: 10 am – noon
Public Benefits Training (PBT)
Thursday, April 14: 1 pm – 3 pm
Questions? Email Kristen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please join our email list or follow us on social media to learn when the next training dates will be.